The Pittsburgh Penguins will hold Hockey Fights Cancer (HFC) Awareness Night on Thursday, November 4, when the Penguins take on the Philadelphia Flyers at 7:00 PM at PPG Paints Arena. The night, which is presented by UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, is part of a league-wide program to raise awareness and funds for the NHL’s Hockey Fights Cancer initiative.
Penguins players will wear commemorative purple jerseys and use purple-taped sticks during pre-game warm-ups. Players’ warm-up jerseys and select sticks, as well as purple locker room player nameplates will be autographed and available for bid at auction online. The auction will run from November 4-10. Fans can bid by texting PensHFC to 76278 or visiting pensHFC.givesmart.com.
The numbers on the back of the warm-up jerseys will feature a list of 200 names submitted by Penguins season ticket holders. The names included on the numbers honor season ticket holders, as well as their immediate family members that have been impacted by cancer. It could be the name of someone currently battling cancer, a survivor or someone who lost their fight. With each name, there is an accompanied ribbon with a specific color to represent which type of cancer they have been impacted by.
All proceeds from the Penguins’ Hockey Fights Cancer fundraising will benefit the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center and the Mario Lemieux Foundation.
Tickets for Pittsburgh’s HFC Awareness night can be found here. All fans in attendance will receive a “Join the Fight Against Cancer” Rally Towel and Lavender Light Filter presented by UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Additional elements of the Hockey Fights Cancer program include:
- The coaching staff and team broadcasters will wear purple ties to show their support;
- The Malkin & Crosby Charity Suites will host cancer survivors and patients from children’s charity programs (Magic Moments & Make-A-Wish) and UPMC’s Suite will host cancer survivors from UPMC Hillman Cancer Center;
- As part of the NHL’s “I Fight For” campaign, support cards/signs will be on the concourse;
- The Mario Lemieux Foundation will be selling their “Pittsburgh is Stronger than Cancer” Steel City collaboration t-shirts on the concourse
- In-arena signage will highlight UPMC Hillman Cancer Center & the HFC purple graphics.
The Penguins will also host their annual ‘Military Appreciation Game’ presented by 84 Lumber on Nov. 11 against the Florida Panthers, and also the team’s annual ‘Pride Game’ presented by Highmark, which will be hosted jointly with the Buffalo Sabres on Nov. 16. Tickets to both games can be found here.