Support came from every corner of the Pittsburgh Penguins organization when the hockey calendar turned to November and the team’s annual Hockey Fights Cancer (HFC) game approached on November 4 Vs. Philadelphia.
The Penguins Foundation led the campaign and teamed up with the Pens’ Ticketing Office to honor Season Ticket Holders or their family members who have battled cancer; the Partnership Sales office enlisted team sponsor UPMC to present the event and provide fan giveaways; Game Entertainment painted the building purple and created player PSAs and In-Game Special Moments to emphasize the HFC message; while Hockey Operations and Communications enlisted the coaches and players into the campaign.
It has certainly been a total team effort to make Penguins fans a huge part of this league-wide annual initiative. Fans attending the game or watching the game on TV will be able to join the Penguins organization by lending support to the cause. Game day activities will include …
- Fans entering PPG Paints Arena for the game will receive a purple “Join the Fight against Cancer” rally towel and purple flashlight filter with cancer screening info card courtesy of UPMC;
- Players will wear purple warm up jerseys, which will be auctioned online with proceeds benefiting the Mario Lemieux Foundation & UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. Also included in the Penguins Foundation HFC Auction will be commemorative locker room player nameplates and select signed purple-taped hockey sticks and I Fight For cards. The auction will go live pre-game, and fans will be encouraged to text PensHFC to 76278 to bid.
- Jersey numbers on each player’s back will collectively feature 200 season ticket holders (or season ticket holder family members) who have fought cancer with ribbons indicating the kind of cancer they battled;
- Purple autographed mystery pucks and Hockey Fights Cancer themed warm up pucks will be sold at the Penguins Foundation table on the concourse behind Section 103. “I Fight For” cards will also be available along with an HFC branded step-and-repeat available for photos;
- The Mario Lemieux Foundation will be selling their “Pittsburgh is Stronger than Cancer” Steel City collaboration t-shirts on the concourse;
Fans…Watch for these In-Game HFC Moments!
- “Lights out, phones up” moment with purple flashlight filter & Hockey Fights Cancer branding – Pre-Game;
- Rally Towel wave moment with purple HFC towels – 1st Period TV Timeout;
- 200 cancer survivor/fighter name scroll on videoboard (5-minute feature, showing footage of HFC jerseys being made at Pro Knitwear) – 2nd Intermission;
- Brian Boyle PSA Message about cancer screenings at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center – during Intermission;
- Sidney Crosby PSA Message about cancer screenings at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center – during Intermission;
Fans can also join in the Fight here … During the month of November, players Bryan Rust & Jason Zucker will be participating in a mustache-growing competition to benefit Movember and the Mario Lemieux Foundation. Both players will be growing mustaches, with fans donating in support of the best ‘stache by the end of the month. Fans will also be able to purchase a t-shirt to show their support of their favorite mustache! Visit https://www.nhl.com/penguins/community/movember today!